Stage One: Half of Everything Is Luck

After doing some grueling research tonight -- plugging the N64 back in and playing Goldeneye 007 to refresh my memory -- my entry for Stage One, Half of Everything Is Luck, is done.

I agonized for some time over the name, and nearly settled on one of several really bad puns, but playing the Facility reminded me of the dialogue at the end between Bond and Trevelyan (which the movie ripped off word for word, BTW). "Half of everything is luck" seems like a pretty accurate summation of this game.

I've seen people posting about the layout they've done for their entries, and my reaction has been, "Man, layout? For reals? I'm just trying to squeeze everything on the page here." So it's not pretty, and it's not fancy, and it's probably wordier and crunchier than most submissions, but I'm willing to bet it's one of the only one-person games made for this thing, so that's something, anyway. Honestly, it never even occurred to me to make it anything but a solo game, given the source material. That means giving the opposing forces (many, many guards) behavioral scripts, which ate up its fair share of space and brainpower.

Playing the Dam again was an interesting experience, that's for sure. There's so much I just remembered wrong. For example, why did I think there were two modes of movement, roughly equivalent to walking and running? Uh-uh. It's all just walking.  Fast walking, sure, but walking nonetheless. And why did I think there was some PP7 ammo in there somewhere? And why did I think there was more than one sniper rifle? Most of these tricks of my memory were fixed in the final game, but some of them -- like the sniper rifle thing -- weren't, for the sake of gameplay. It's just better, IMO, if all guards in towers have sniper rifles. Makes things a little more interesting.

I'd also misnamed two of the weapons. AK-47? PPK? What was I thinking? No -- AF7 and PP7. Duh!

I'm rambling here. Practically speaking, it's an hour later than it really is right now, so that's my excuse. Anyway, check out the game, give it a whirl, and tell me what you think.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bonus Actions: Not So Fast

D&D's New Weapon Mastery Is from the '80s

Dungeon23 X Dwarf Fortress