Game-Fu 8: Let It Ride

So what with one thing and another, the deadline for Game-Fu 8 has been extended by a week. This is doubly disastrous. One, I'll be compelled to work on this for another week, which means I'll be compelled to make it another week better. Two, if I'd managed to turn it in tonight, I would've gotten a +10% bonus. That's huge. Games are scored on a scale of 1-100, so 10% is nothing to sneeze at. My last entry scored an 87 and a 79 -- that would've been a 95.7 and an 86.9! Big difference.

Possibly worse is the fact that one CardinalXimenes (not of Spain, as far as I know) managed to turn his game in before the original deadline, and it's 41 pages long. With art! And maps! And an index! And, y'know, graphic design! I will have none of those things. My as-yet-untitled game (still!) is about 23 pages right now, with maybe seven or eight more to go, if I'm lucky and can manage to rein in my verbosity. I mean, art and graphic design aren't necessarily parameters of the contest, but they sure as hell don't hurt.

Anyway, my hat's off to him. That's damned impressive for two weeks' work. Competition's already fierce.

AFAIK, no one else turned an entry in tonight, so... we're all trailing that guy.

The good news is that I really like what I have. I can't emphasize that "really" enough. Mechanically, it just feels great, and I love the magic system. I just finished the chapter entitled "Fairy-Tale Treasures," so now all there is to do is a bit on running the game (e.g., what an expected evening's game play would be), statting up some adversaries (this is so, so easy...), and maybe doing a brief page of design notes, which in this case would just be a bunch of stuff about fairy tales.

Oh, and naming it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bonus Actions: Not So Fast

D&D's New Weapon Mastery Is from the '80s

Dungeon23 X Dwarf Fortress